Do you need assistance selecting a major or a career path? Keep in mind, your major does NOT have to equal your career. Take a look at the variety of Academic Programs and Specializations offered at Coker, and explore each major to see career path options, employment information, and average salaries.
Are you looking for up-to-date salary information, employment projections, and job descriptions? The Bureau of Labor Statistics offers a free online Occupations Outlook Handbook, which is also an excellent tool for exploring various work environments, job and educational requirements, similar occupations, and job outlooks.
Career Assessments and Self-Exploration:
There has been much research done to show that individuals who are happiest in their jobs are ones who have chosen a career path and work environment that is in line with their morals, values, interests and aspirations. One of the most important steps you can take before looking into various majors and careers is to get to know yourself. What type of career fields do your interests most relate to? What workplace values are most important to you? Coker students have free access to our MyPlan site, which includes unlimited access to the four assessments listed below. Please contact the Director of Career Development to receive the code.
Creating a MyPlan Account
- Go to http://www.myplan.com/. You will see five tabs across the top of the page. Click on the far right tab labeled Account.
- If you have previously created a MyPlan account with your Coker email, you can log in under Existing User. If not, click on “Create Free Account” under New User.
- Create a username (I recommend using your Coker email as your username) and a password along with entering some basic personal information.
- Complete your educational information and enter your 8-digit code given to you by the Career Development Office (you will need to contact Jeremy Nere at email@example.com to receive this code). You now have an account!
What exactly do you have access to?
1. Four Assessments including:
- Career Personality Test – similar design to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), this test matches your personality most closely to the 16 different personality types.
- Career Interest Inventory – This test helps you visualize what your interests are and how they relate to various career fields and work positions.
- Career Skills Profiler – This test helps you translate your personal profile (strengths, weaknesses, interests) into career path recommendations.
- Career Values Assessment – This last test will allow you to learn more about your underlying work needs, motivations, and values so that you can decide what is most important to you in a job or career field.
2. Major Exploration:
Click on the Majors tab on the top and follow it down to “What Can I Do With a Major In…?”. This link houses some excellent information regarding various majors/focuses and how those can translate to certain career paths. Most links contain job descriptions, educational/experience requirements, related majors & degrees, and salary information.
3. Career Exploration:
Click on the Careers tab on the top and take a deeper look into various career paths with the Career Database, a Career Video Library, Online Job Board Resources, and Salary Calculators.