Additional Menu

Step 1: Discuss Your Plans

A study abroad or study away program involves speaking with the Assistant Dean/Director of Trans4mations and your faculty advisor as well as the trip leader (for Coker Program) to express your interest and learning more about the travel program. While there may not be a precise order for these conversations, all parties will need to be a part of this discussion.  Regardless of which program you choose; you want to make certain you have completed the actions on the checklist for that program that pertain to you.

Step 2: Complete the Online Application

Again, all Coker students participating in programs to study abroad or study away must complete an online Coker College application. This information serves an an electronic record of your plan to participate in a travel program and will be the first document on the road to completing the program requirements.

Step 3: Meet with a Counselor in Financial Planning

All students participating in travel programs who will be using financial aid must meet with a counselor to discuss what of their monies can be awarded.  Students should be aware that programs that award academic credit will have a program fee which covers the trip costs such as transportation (airfare, bus, train, etc.), lodging, some meals and entrance fees, etc. Coker travel programs that offer courses for academic credit will also include a cost for tuition (current charges are at the summer rate).  Fall and Spring Semester programs can be covered under aid for that academic session. Fall Break and Spring Break travel courses can be registered as a semester course and be cover under the semester tuition as well. Tuition should not cost extra unless it is an overload or the class requires some additional expenses such as a cuisine course. January Term and Interim are not separate financial aid periods and students should plan ahead for participation in these programs. If applicable, you can use your semester refund towards these trips. Summer is a separate aid period.  You must bring your Study Away Budget Worksheet to your counselor to review your program costs and determine what aid will be available. Financial Planning (Aid) counselors are located in the Student Solution Center, 2nd floor, Student Center. Please print the sheet to complete before meeting with the counselor.

Step 4: Making Payments

Whether students are using financial aid or paying out-of-pocket going on a Coker trip or a non-Coker program you will need to take care of the financial portion of the participation process. Students work with our Student Accounts Office in the Student Solution Center, 2nd Floor, Student Center to make deposits for Coker trips. This office also works with students who are attending non-Coker study abroad programs and using their financial aid to help cover the costs. Please refer to the attached handout for non-Coker study abroad programs.

Step 5: Attend an Orientation Session

If you are traveling with a Coker program regardless if it is study abroad or study away, there will be a required orientation for your class or group. The faculty/staff trip leader(s) may or may not be present. The meeting will be a time to review Coker policy, collect required picture identification and proof of insurance (required for Coker programs). Students should refer to the checklist for your program to determine what form of identification should be submitted.

Students traveling on a semester program through another college/university or third party provider (see affiliates below) will meet in individual sessions with the Assistant Dean/Director of Trans4mations. 

Step 6: Notarized Waiver and Release Form

All students must submit a Notarized Waiver and Release Form. This form refers to the Coker College Code of Student Conduct. It is a reminder that you are on a college sponsored program and that your behavior has a direct impact on the safety and success of the trip for the trip leader and all participants. Students who exhibit behavior that endangers the group, or any member including self-endangerment may be asked by the trip leader to return to the U.S if abroad or your home if traveling within the U.S.

Step 7: Emergency Contact Form

Students who are approved for a travel program must also submit an Emergency Contact Form. On this form, the student provides the name and contact information for the person you want reached in an emergency situation (health, injury, etc.). This form also provides a space for trip participants to list any medical condition he/she might need assistance with from the trip leader or assigned student buddy. This information is used only as necessary to ensure the safety of the participant and is shared with the trip leader. If a buddy system is required, the student must give permission to share the emergency response with another traveler who could act in the absence of the trip leader. Again, only approved trip participants complete this form which plays no role in the program acceptance. Students are expected to self report for your own safety.