APRIL 5, 2017 — 3:30 PM: The National Weather Service is predicting severe weather for our area, beginning early this evening and continuing into tomorrow morning. High winds, damaging thunderstorms, and large hail are all expected. A wind advisory is in effect. As always, the safety of our students, faculty, and staff is our first priority, and the college will continue to monitor the situation closely. Updates will be sent out through email, as well as the CobrAlert System (Sign up here). In addition:
- All updates will be posted to this webpage.
- Please make sure you’re signed up for CobrAlerts so that you can receive emergency notifications. (Instructions below.)
- All full- and part-time faculty, administrators, staff and non-resident students at the Hartsville campus and off-campus sites may call 843-383-8000, or contact Campus Safety at 843-383-8140.
- All updates will be posted to our official social media accounts on Facebook & Twitter.
- Resident students on campus may check www.coker.edu/alerts or call the Office of Residence Life at 843-383-8360.
Finally, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have flashlights, batteries, and bottled water on hand (to prepare for possible power outages).
- In case of heavy rain and strong winds, stay indoors and away from large windows.
- Avoid walking/parking under large trees.
- If you see a downed power line, avoid the area and report it to Campus Safety (843-383-8140).
- If you have travel plans, please be cautious and check weather conditions and traffic patterns before traveling. (National Weather Service)
When a weather emergency (e.g. snow, flooding and ice storms) creates hazardous travel conditions, the College may announce a delayed opening, an early closing or may close the College except for essential services. During weather emergencies, students, faculty, administrators and staff must use their best judgment to determine whether conditions are safe for their travel to and from the campus.
APRIL 5, 2017 — 12:00 PM: All Adult Degree Program classes in Florence and Marion have been cancelled for the evening of April 5, 2017, due to predicted inclement weather (strong thunderstorms and severe winds) in the area. Both sites will be closed, including computer labs. We will continue to keep you updated via email in the event of further developments.