Often called “the universal language,” music reaches minds and hearts in ways that nothing else can.
As a Coker music major, you can learn to be fluent. Whether you choose to study piano, voice, or musical theatre, you will follow rigorous yet rewarding curriculum that challenges and develops your creative and intellectual potential.
With personal guidance from accomplished faculty members, our discussion-based round table learning philosophy challenges students to explore, defend and communicate their ideas and creative perspective. Outside of the classroom, students benefit from immediate opportunities for solo performances, theatrical roles, internships, regional and national ensemble tours, study abroad and study away opportunities.
In 2012, Coker began an All-Steinway Initiative, a commitment to use Steinway-designed instruments in classrooms, practice studios and in performance spaces campus-wide. Less than one percent of colleges and universities worldwide are designated as All-Steinway Institutions, and Coker is one of only three colleges in South Carolina with the distinction.
National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
College-level music study fosters the skills and knowledge necessary for the pursuit of lifelong learning and a deeper appreciation of music. In either piano, voice or musical theatre, you will learn a comprehensive range of skills and knowledge, including performance technique, theory and analysis, and music in a historical context.
Focus your music studies with a concentration in piano. You will study a thorough foundation of music theory, history and technique, with additional courses in piano pedagogy and literature, applied piano, collaborative piano. A variety of opportunities to perform helps you apply your knowledge.
Learn to make the most of the instrument you were born with. If vocal performance is your strength, a concentration in voice is the perfect area of study for you. Opportunities to perform with the Coker Singers and in your own senior recital let you put your knowledge into practice.
If musical theatre is your real passion, a music major with a concentration in musical theatre will take you where you want to go. You will take courses in voice, acting, dance and theatre, supplemented with specific courses—like Broadway and Hollywood Musicals—plus numerous opportunities to perform.
Potential job paths for music majors range from performers to music teachers to writers to managers of theaters or concert halls. Coker music students are trained to develop analytical, creative thinking, communication and time-management skills, combined with the adaptability and self-confidence to present themselves professionally in any situation. For a Coker music major, the career opportunities are endless.
For more information on potential career paths, click here.
- Advertising Specialist
- Instrument Design/Restoration
- Public Relations Specialist
- Art Director
- Lawyer - Music Industry
- Publications Specialist
- Artist & Repertoire (A&R) Person
- Band Leader
- Recording Technician
- Music Attorney
- Sales/Marketing Representative
- Concert Promoter
- Music Critic
- Copy Writer
- Music Publisher
- Special Events Coordinator
- Copyright Specialist
- Music Software Programmer
- Studio Musician
- Music Teacher
- Talent Agent
- Disc Jockey
- Music Therapist
- Technical Writer
- Orchestra Librarian
- Tour Manager
- Film Music Director/Editor
- Writer/Music Journalist
Graduate schools and professional programs can open the door for even more opportunities in many specializations. Graduates of Coker College have gone on to pursue a graduate degree at a number of institutions, including but not limited to the list below.
- Music business (music industry)
- Music education (music pedagogy)
- Music history (musicology)
- Music performance
- Sacred music (church music)
- Music theory (music composition)
- Music therapy
- Music production (music technology)
- Public School teacher (K-12)
- Founder/Director of Music Studio
- Performing Arts Center Box Office Associate
- Director of Church Music
- Entertainment Industry Performer
- University of South Carolina
- Winthrop University
- Converse College
- Boston University (Online)
- New York University Steinhardt School
- Full Sail University
- South Carolina State University
At Coker, music majors benefit from individual attention from accomplished faculty members, which is crucial for young musicians in order for them to explore and cultivate their own style. You will be working closely with dedicated professors who will challenge, encourage and support you with personalized guidance.
Click here to apply for an audition.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MUSIC WITH A CONCENTRATION IN VOICE OR BACHELOR OF MUSIC EDUCATION WITH A CONCENTRATION IN VOICE:
- Three selections in contrasting style that demonstrate ability and that are sung from memory.
- At least one classical selection in a foreign language.
- Recorded accompaniments are not allowed.
- If you need an accompanist, please let us know immediately and provide us with the titles (and/or copies) of your selections two weeks before the audition date.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MUSIC WITH A CONCENTRATION IN PIANO OR BACHELOR OF MUSIC EDUCATION WITH A CONCENTRATION IN PIANO:
- A balanced program of three memorized works from contrasting style periods.
- The program may involve either complete works or individual movements from larger works.
- Students auditioning for a minor in music with a concentration in piano should prepare two memorized works from contrasting style periods.